Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Pheel Collins > Frijoles

I'm having one of those moments.
162 pages to be read in Spanish before I take off for the weekend.
"Reforms to the Capitalist World in Latin America after the Neoliberal Fundamentalism"
What does that even mean in English?
I'm pretty sure the longest academic text I've ever read in Spanish was around 8 pages.
It took me 3 1/2 hours.

 Living in Chile is no doubt the biggest molehill I've had to conquer.
And when I'm here I get to play lots of fun games with myself. Oh I don't know like:
breaking down in the cell phone store because people there are people yelling at you and you have no idea what they are saying.
OR getting stuck in a collectivo at midnight because you can't pronounce the cross street and the driver won't leave you alone in a dark alley at night.
OR how about if your host dad is talking to you about Phil Collins for ten minutes and the whole time you think he is talking about beans?
Yeppers, all these things have happened to me. And millions more.

I think the thing I most am looking forward to when I go back home is being an intelligent human again.

Not to mention, when I cannot really communicate fully both because of language and cultural cues, so much of me is lost.  It's more difficult to relate to those around me.  What does it even mean to have a Spanish personality?
It's like I have to recreate this new pseudo version of Sara.

The thing about putting yourself outside of your comfort zone is that while the daily lows may be lower, the highs are also higher indeed.
There's something exhilarating about a challenge.
Life here is so indescribably abundant.
New experiences. New concepts.  New perspectives.
That is precisely the part that I really could not explain to friends and family at home.  As much as they are invested in my being here, there comes a point where I simply can no longer relay my experiences in a way that is tangible or comprehensive. It's hard to express how much that conversation meant to me or how I felt in that moment or how beautiful that was.
As much as I want them to they couldn't really care that funny thing that happened at the micro station at 4AM.  Or the precious little gems at the orphanage. Or the protests that happen here almost every week. Or the haunting remnants of the Pinochet dictatorship that inhabit the ground we walk.  Or the vibrant street art of Valparaíso powerful enough to communicate profound messages to the world.

I have fallen in love with Chile: its history, its people, its culture.  Now that I am here I want nothing more than to be a part of it all as far as that can possibly be extended
-- even if that means learning Spanish. Chilean style.
My only complaint is that I do not have more time.

{Isla Negra and Sara}

 That's all I have to say for now.  I'm really swamped with obligations and all.
 Going to Argentina tomorrow or something.

Keep it Real
Sara Nicole

1 comment: